Silicone rings have been one of the most popular accessories people are opting for recently. But you might have a bunch of questions about these trending rings. Are they safe to wear? Are they just invented for mechanics, electricians, or athletes for their special needs? Is it stylish to choose silicone rings instead of metal rings?
Yes, silicone rings are safe to wear and they are not designed just for people dealing with risky or heavy jobs. And, if you are one of the fashion people, do not hesitate to get one silicone ring. If you are interested in questions about silicone rings, this article will answer each of your questions. Keep reading to know all about silicone rings.
What are silicone rings?
Silicone rings are made from non-conductive, non-porous, and non-toxic medical silicone, a type of rubber that is not only flexible but also durable. Due to the excellent quality of silicone, these rings are becoming the ideal alternatives to metal rings.
This soft material is what enables silicone rings to fit comfortably around your finger. Also, compared with traditional rings, silicone rings come in a wide variety of colors and sizes. What’s more, silicone rings are usually under $50, which is just a fraction of the price of a diamond ring, and they are relatively easy to find.
Therefore, as Jeweler Carol Offman says, “silicone wedding bands provide a safe, comfortable, and affordable alternative to typical engagement and wedding ring bands”.
Why silicone rings are safe to wear?
Safeness is the top reason that makes silicone rings stand out. Let’s take a look at the advantages that make them safe for everyday use.
The flexibility of silicone rings
Unlike tough metal rings, silicone rings are made from relatively soft material, which allows silicone rings to be flexible. For example, due to the softness, they are easy to break under extreme pressure and therefore could protect your fingers from unexpected events during risky work.
When you wear a silicone wing, it stays tight to your finger. It does not slide easily, or fit too tight to hurt your finger. You can even wear it when you are doing housework or workout because it does not snag into clothing, machinery, or any other stuff.
The flexibility of silicone rings makes it a wearable alternative for people working as rescue personnel, nurses, mechanics, or electricians. Traditional metal rings could be conductive or toxic that could be dangerous when exposed to those working environments and silicone rings, on the contrary, do no harm and even provide extra protection.
Active sportspeople do not have to take their rings off when doing yoga or working out. Sweat that could lead to metal corrosion does not really affect silicone rings and therefore you do not have to worry about your ring when doing sports.
The durability of silicone rings
Another reason why this piece of jewelry becomes popular is that it could be very stable for a very long time. Swelling or clots are not usually seen on silicone rings, even after they are worn for years.
Silicone rings, which contain a combination of silicone with other materials such as oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon, are resistant to harsh environments and tend to maintain their natural shine, touch, and texture. They might look fragile, but the material is actually so strong that could resist scratching, chipping, breaking, general damage from exposure. These rings are even highly heat resistant.
Again, this advantage makes silicone rings an excellent alternative for people who use their hands a lot during work. For instance, health professionals that have to wear gloves every day, including doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists, will no longer find it challenging if they wear silicone rings. Silicone rings are very functional, safe, and durable for them.
To sum up, safety is the most important feature of silicone rings. They are not only flexible but also durable to wear in most workplaces, or professional contexts, which is impossible for traditional metal rings. But this is not the only reason why the popularity of silicone rings is still growing. The following points add to their advantages.
- Silicone rings are light, breathable, and comfortable to wear. That’s why many active and busy people love this little piece of jewelry.
- Silicone rings are cheap but elegant. They could be designed to be colorful, stylish, or any type of style you want to have.
How to wear silicone rings safely
Although silicone rings could resist most unfriendly environments, it doesn’t mean that you do not have to take care of them. The best advice would be to take care of silicone rings in the same way as conventional metal rings. Here are some tips that might be helpful.
- Check if you are allergic to silicone. Unfortunately, reports showed that exposure to silicone could be injurious for some people, although the percentage is not high. The common signs of the allergy are red rash, swelling, itchy or irritated skin. If you happen to feel uncomfortable wearing silicone bands, do take them off immediately and go find some medical advice before wearing them again.
- Cleaning your silicone ring regularly. The basic cleaning for silicone rings is very simple. Just washing your ring with soap and warm water is enough to keep it new. If you want to have a thorough cleaning, combine vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, soak your ring for about half an hour and scrub your ring with a soft sponge or toothbrush to remove all the bacteria on the ring. Also, you could simply boil your ring in water and scrub it because silicone is heat resistant.
- Do not wear silicone rings during a shower. The showing bacteria could get stuck in your ring if you don’t take it off. And gradually your ring could become smutty and uncomfortable to wear.
With the convenience, safety, and uniqueness, there is no doubt that silicone rings will be chosen by more and more people in the future, especially for the young group. If you are looking for a wedding ring that you could wear every day without worrying about any potential hurt, or damage, do not hesitate to get one silicone ring.